Saturday, August 2, 2008

Meet Joan!

I made this doll based on Grandma when she was a little girl.
She is a American Girl Today doll #5. I got her at the Madison Children's Museum Benefit Sale. We took her to a professional hair stylist and had her cut Joan's hair, and then I curled it.
Here are some pictures of her:





Here's her Amber book! I know this was Grandma's favorite book when she was a little girl.


This is her doll - I think Grandma had a little African American baby doll when she was younger:

6 comments:

momawake said...

It's been a fun project. If only we can get her hair curled a little better, I'll be happier about it.

Mom said...

What you have done is so special! The hair color is very good! I wouldn't worry too much about the curls. Any really curly hair I had took a lot of time via pincurls. My natural curl was not all that curly. Another idea I had was that Mom always subscribed to "McCalls" magazine which is no longer available. I especially liked it because there was a page in each issue which had the Betsy McCall paper doll and clothes you could cut out for her. It was a women's magazine. If you could find any issues on line from the 40's you might get some ideas for an "American Girl" story to add to your project. I also appreciate your posting pictures of your progress. It is fun to bring back lots of memories.

Mom to Anyone said...

Wow! What a great idea - and such an honor for the real Joan.

Mom said...

You have to tell me about the "Amber" book. How did you get it in miniature? How special that you did that!

Mom said...

I can't find the address of your "Joan" web site. Could you email it again? Thanks

Mom said...

A small detail: On the web site, you describe the bluebird outfit as having a royal blue tie. The tie was really a sky blue or light blue. The picture of me with the "Bermuda" shorts I hated, also has the bluebird tie. Since it is not in color, I cannot remember what color the shorts were, but you can see the tie is lighter blue.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin