Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Pretty Dress for a Wedding

I had originially seen a dress at Kohl's, and while I can't find the exact dress on line THIS ONE is kind of like it. Same style.
I really liked it, but it was too short, and obviously not modest enough with the sleeveless bodice.
I found this fabric at Joann's, and decided to try and make my own.
It went together surprisingly well. The bodice went together in less than an hour. The pattern I used had a straight skirt option and a pleated skirt option. I did neither, and adapted the pleated skirt to be an A-Line. I then added a white underskirt, and the black tulle ruffle/can-can at the bottom, and the black band around the waist for added style. I really like it, and will wear it to a wedding that is going to be at the end of this month.
The one small thing that I am still unsure about, and might attempt to fix, is the zipper in the back. I put it in an invisible zipper, and with an invisible zipper, you are not supposed to be able to see the zipper at all, just a nice seam down the back. Well, I don't have an invisible zipper foot for for my sewing machine, just a regular zipper foot, so I can't sew as close to the zipper teeth as you are supposed to, therefore there is a white stripe down the back of the dress, as you can tell in the second picture. I am not sure what I can do to try and fix this, but I'll see.





6 comments:

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Come visit me. You can borrow my invisible zipper foot. Actually, at least when I needed one, I was able to buy it at JoAnn's or a similar store. That was years ago but I would suppose the same thing is possible today.

Bless you for your desire to live modestly!

Amy said...

Waiitt, you have an invisible zipper foot?! I didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind...I might show up on your doorstep sometime with a project and a wish to borrow your sewing machine for half an hour... :-)

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Yup. I used to use it basically all the time for my dresses. ;-) Haven't used it now for a number of years; I welcome you to use it!

Mom said...

I love the style - simple, elegant and modest.

The Boring One said...

Very Pretty! Want to make me one?! :-)

Amy said...

Lol "Boring One"...if you want to pay me... :-P haha just kidding

Blog Widget by LinkWithin